Sustain Evanston* invites community environmental leaders and activist to a Low-Carbon Transportation Alternatives Brainstorming and Strategy meeting from 9:00 a.m. to noon on Saturday, January 25, in the Community Meeting Room at the Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Avenue. Attendees will help develop a comprehensive mobility plan that aims to achieve a significant reduction in Evanston’s transportation-related greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Formal organizations and grass-roots groups working in the areas of the environment, climate change, energy efficiency and other sustainability topics are encouraged to send two or three of their officers or representatives to this event. RSVP by clicking here.
Join this meeting on January 25, 2014 if you are interested in:
• making our public transit system more user-friendly
• increasing the number of school children who walk or bike to school
• making our infrastructure (streets, sidewalks) safer for pedestrians
• expanding our bicycle infrastructure
• motivating Evanstonians to leave their cars at home
The Sustain Evanston* network is engaged in an initiative to reduce Evanston’s GHG emissions by 20% percent by 2016 (relative to a 2005 baseline). This builds on the 13% reduction in emissions already achieved in summer 2013, the goal set in Evanston’s 2008 Climate Action Plan. The 13% reduction was due primarily to the shift to 100% renewable electricity for residents and small businesses through the community aggregation program. For the new 20% goal, the focus is on improving the energy efficiency of Evanston’s buildings and reducing emissions from Evanston’s transportation sector.
Come share your ideas for a more sustainable transportation system for Evanston. If you are planning to attend, you may RSVP by clicking here. Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or call 847-448-8069.
* Sustain Evanston is an informal network of organizations and individuals dedicated to supporting initiatives aimed at improving the sustainability of the Evanston community. Facilitated by the Evanston Office of Sustainability, the network meets roughly twice a year to share information about ongoing efforts and explore opportunities to work together on projects of mutual interest. Those attending the November 2012 Sustain Evanston meeting engaged in an interactive process to select projects that all could work together to implement. One of the projects selected was to set the next GHG emissions-reduction goal for Evanston and organize to achieve that goal.
Be part of the discussion by joining our Sustain Evanston google group.